Present: Jeff Abrams, Dennis Ackerman, Steve Brand, Carole Eigner,
Steve Haynes, Spike Harvey, Jerry Ringer, John Rozar
Guests: Mitch Burton, Granite Hills High; Don Whitt
Absent: Bob Babich, George Bralla, Allen C. Brown, George Brown,
Bill Christopher, Chet DeVore, Brian Fogarty, Barry Humphrey, Don
Macek, Kevin McGarry, Dennis McKnight, Mark Osman, Jerry Ralph, Mike
Riley, Brian Sexton, John Shacklett, Steve Smith, Ted Tollner, Walter
- All members and guests were welcomed by Jerry Ringer.
- A review of the minutes from the board meeting on August 1, 2000
Board asked that minutes be included in the chapter website, and
that the site be included on all minutes.
- Financial results of the 2000 golf tournament were reviewed.
- Preliminary was given by Allen Brown who said that our chapter
has not yet received the invoices from Singing Hills. Without
them, the report has no practical use. We expect the invoices
- The 2001 tournament has not been set yet, but the board will
ask Bob Babich, the current chair, to head the event again.
- The board thanks Bob and the entire golf committee for a job
- The board agreed that the chapter would hold back sending
our membership money derived from the tournament to National
at a later date. The board would like an answer to our chapters
letter of January 2000 to Bob Casciola at National concerning
the lack of management progress within the Western Region. Chair
Ringer and the board also agreed that Nationals response
to the ticket issue for the August 27, 2000 Kick-Off Classic
was poor and needs some additional attention by National.
Board felt when membership figures for the Western Region decline
and monies are not forthcoming to National for the membership
of about 200, the chapter will get a call as to why. Then we
can ask for changes. Walter Zable has asked the board to take
this action for years in order to get management reform.
- Game of the Week MVP program.
- Chapter purchased four more sets of shoulder pads for Game
of the Week Schools.
- The remaining two games are covered, program chair Dr. Jeff
- Play It Smart Program.
- Board member and academic coach Steve Haynes said program
is going well at Kearny High.
- Ringer and Haynes will get together to map out publicity plans
for the program.
- Ninth Grade Football - Jerry Ringer reported that the chapter
will now work with the Districts PR chief David Smollar.
- Jerry will write a new plan to raise the $120,000 needed to
fund the program to include womens freshmen sports.
- Plan will be submitted to city schools superintendent
Alan Bersin for his review and subsequent blessing to proceed.
- Campaign is for the 2001 football season.
- Selection committee for the 2000-2001 scholar-athlete awards banquet
set for March 16, will be headed by co-chairs Jeff Abrams and Steve
Brand. Selection committee will consist of the following board members:
Jeff Abrams, Dennis Ackerman, Steve Brand, Bill Christopher, Chet
DeVore, and Brian Sexton.
- Carole Eigner will send nomination forms to all area high
schools, colleges and universities that play football on Nov.
- A special request of nomination for the Willie Jones Most
Inspirational Award will also be sent at the same time.
- Selection committee will meet January 9, 2001 at the chapters
- Chapter membership was discussed as part of
the golf tournament report. Chapter is the ninth largest unit in
the country and the fourth largest in the Western Region. There
are 110 chapters.
Interesting note is that the top four chapters in the nation are
affiliated with a University.
- Scholar-Athlete Regional Winners - Bob Keropian and his committee
picked a lineman from the Northern California Chapter. Our chapter
nominee, D.J. Busch, received a beautiful plaque from our chapter
citing him as our chapters best in 2000.
- New Business:
- Jerry said he would write Sid Gillman a letter from the board
saying 17 of his football playbooks went to Miami University
of Ohios Cradle of Coachs Museum on campus. His
coaches videotapes will be distributed to area high school football
programs, starting in May of 2001.
Meeting adjourned at 1:15 p.m.