NATIONAL FOOTBALL FOUNDATION AND
COLLEGE HALL OF FAME
Walter J. Zable/San Diego Chapter
Minutes of September 17, 1998 Board Meeting
Present: Jeffrey Abrams, Dennis Ackerman, Bob Babich, George Bralla, Steve Brand, Allen C. Brown, Carole Eigner, Spike Harvey, Don Macek, Jerry Ralph, Jerry Ringer, Steve Smith. Guest, John Rozar
Absent: Andy Anderson, George Brown, Bill Christopher, Chet DeVore, Dan Dole, Brian Fogarty, Sid Gillman, Barry Humphrey, Kevin McGarry, Dennis McKnight, Mark Osman, Brian Sexton, Ted Tollner, Walt Zable
1) Chairman Jerry Ringer welcomed everyone.
2) Minutes of the August 6, 1998 meeting were reviewed and passed with two items pending, which were also approved. Items 8c.and d., donations for a memorial to Santana High Grad Leon Bender and the DeAndre Douglas Trust. Douglas is a University High grad whose parents were killed. Item c. was okay for $300 with student to write memorial for Leon.
On Item d., the board voted to contribute $250 to the Douglas Trust which goes to help DeAndre himself.
Other action items will be covered in the meeting.
3) MVP-Game of the Week: Steve Brand and Jeff Abrams. The board thanked Allen Brown and George Bralla for their help on the Sept. 12 100th year game.
Steve Smith volunteered to cover the Friday, Sept. 18 game with Christian versus El Cajon Valley. John Rozar will handle the September 25 game with Morse at Vista. Other selections will be made later. It was suggested that the chapter send a letter to the participating schools prior to the game informing them they are the Game of the Week and the NFF representative.
4) Golf Tournament of Aug 17, 1998.
5) Chapter sponsoring CIF football play-off games was discussed by Dennis Ackerman. Board agreed to donate $500 to the cause. In return, there will be an ad in the program and mention on the score board, plus signage.
6) Awards banquet 1999 was next on the agenda. Jerry and Carole reported Town and Country cannot provide space after 20 years there. Will move to the Mission Valley Marriott. Banquet is set for Friday, March 5, 1999. Waiting for proposal from the Marriott, but cost will be about $22 per person exclusive.
Scholar-Leader-Athlete selection committee will be headed by Jeff Abrams this year, as Chet DeVore has done it for three years now. The board thanked Chet. He will continue serving on the committee, as will all other members.
7) Board voted to have Russ Washington, all-American from Missouri, as our next Hall of Fame candidate. Jerry to send Russ forms.
8) Regional Scholar-Athlete of the year 1998 selection was Blake Moore of Ogden High in Utah. Jerry asked the item be tabled until next meeting. Subject is: should chapter question Moore’s selection, since football competition in Utah might not be as strong as in metropolitan areas. Much of Moore’s listed credits were for basketball and his community activities seem unrealistic. He does, however, have a 4.0 GPA, was all-state QB, and received a football scholarship to Utah State University.
9) Guest John Rozar was elected to the board. He is a financial analyst with Cubic Corporation, and played football at Morse High, Mesa College and San Jose State University, graduating from each.
10) New Business:
Meeting adjourned at 1:15p.m.
|Back to TEXT-ONLY Table of Contents||Back to GRAPHICS-RICH Table of Contents|