|THE NATIONAL FOOTBALL
COLLEGE HALL OF FAME
Walter J. Zable/San Diego Chapter
Present: Jeff Abrams, Dennis Ackerman, Bob Babich, Steve Brand, Art Brandman, Bill Christopher, Brian Fogarty, Spike Harvey, Jerry Ringer, Brian Sexton, Steve Smith, Ted Tollner, Walt Zable.
Absent: Andy Anderson, George Bralla, Allen Brown, George Brown, Chet DeVore, Dan Dole, Sid Gillman, Barry Humphrey, Don Macek, Kevin McGarry, Dennis McKnight, Mark Osman.
1) Everyone was welcomed by Jerry Ringer. The minutes of the April 16 meeting were reviewed. They were approved with one correction. Brian Fogarty had, in fact, responded to the Jan. 31, 1997 executive committee meeting minutes. Minutes said he did not.
4) MVP Program - Dr. Jeff Abrams said Seau Foundation has not decided what it wants to do yet. Will follow up. Board said should do the program with or without them. Brian said he talked with Mary B. and was told dinners for the MVP game teams at Seau’s were expensive and the foundation is thinking about the costs. Jeff said would have report next meeting.
5) How to Watch Football - chapter recruitment.
6) Executive Committee meeting. Jerry will set date. Committee amended and approved Jan. 31 minutes.
7) Newsletter - Jerry showed layout for chapter newsletter that would be published 8-10 times a year. Newsletter will go to chapter members, past honorees, area school officials, and possibly parents of recent honorees. Will also hook up to a WEB site for more visibility. Good timing since Hall of Fame will have PSA aired during half-time.
8) Ed White, Don Coryell - Hall of Fame. Jeff pointed out column in today’s U-T by Nick Canapa about College Hall of Fame not picking coach Coryell yet. Jerry said Coryell has been on the ballot for four years now, and that chapter would make promotional materials for the honors court. Walt Zable said he would get the information to the right people. Jerry received a call from Norm Presley about Ed being elected to Hall. Presley wants to help. Will add Fred Dryer’s name to our letterhead as new inductee. Ted Tollner said SDSU AD Rick Bay will go to New York with Dryer.
9) Coach Tollner gave board a briefing on the Aztecs 1997 football team. Said spring practice went well. Said there is a move afoot to reduce or eliminate contact during spring practice.
10) Walt Zable gave a report on National as he attended the April board meeting at headquarters in New York.
Meeting adjourned at 1:10 p.m
|Back to TEXT-ONLY Table of Contents||Back to GRAPHICAL Table of Contents|